Thursday, October 22, 2009

Video of Sunny Garcia at Pipe Winter 2000


In Dec of 2000 I went on a trip to Honolulu for a marathon Alia's mom was in. On the plane ride there I was reading Surfer and all about how Sunny was the new world champ. The trip was really short. Maybe 4 days max. On one of the non race days we rented a car and went out to the North Shore to check it out. I had never gone before. We parked, walked up to Pipe and sat down on the beach. Right as we do Sunny walks up and paddles out in front of us. I had just gotten a video camera and was so stoked to watch and film this all go down.  It was a smallish day for Pipe but everyone was out. (Andy, Bruce, you name it, were out.) Sunny was on top of the world. You could feel how stoked he was.  When I got back I put this little video together and forgot about it until today after I found it cleaning up an old website I had it posted on back then. It brings me back to that day. It was one of those things you never forget.

A side note on that board he's riding. It is a bamboo veneered board by BSA ( Bamboo Surfboards Australia). Everyone knows that he rides for BYB, but he actually had 2 board sponsors at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails